march for babies blog
Last year almost 60,000 of you used our March for Babies Facebook application! This year we hope to beat that record!
Facebook has made some changes in the way it handles applications since last year. The biggest change is that you can no longer post applications to your profile page.
We’ve made some major improvements this year that will help get you to your goals, reach more people than before and have fun while you are doing it!
This year you can fundraise and support the March of Dimes March for Babies in more ways:
PLAY THE BOARD GAME
1) Select an activity from the game board.
2) Complete the activity to earn your reward.
3) Publish your progress to your wall for your friends to see.
4) Come back any time to repeat an activity to increase your fundraising reach.
SEE YOUR REWARDS SHELF
1) Select your shelf to view the rewards you’ve earned so far.
2) Collect all 6 rewards.
3) If you are a March for Babies veteran, the rewards you earned last year will appear here as well.
USE THE QUICK PICK MENU
No time to play the game? Use the buttons above your game board to quickly:
• Ask for donations from your friends
• Invite friends to join your walk
• Invite friends to grab the app and fundraise themselves
SEE HOW YOUR FRIENDS ARE DOING ON THE NEW LEADER BOARD
1) See the top March for Babies leaders on Facebook (March for Babies friends tab).
2) See who are leading the pack among your own Facebook friends (My friends tab). Only friends who are using the app will appear here.
3) Roll over a friend to see their score and stats.
4) Scroll through your friends by using the arrows to the left and right of their profile pictures.
5) To add a friend, click on a blank square and select your friend.
6) Click on a friend to visit their game board to see their progress.
7) Click “My crib” to return to your game board.
LIKE THE MARCH OF DIMES ON FACEBOOK
1) Click “Become a fan” to receive updates from the March of Dimes.
2) Connect with over 100,000 March of Dimes supporters and stay on top of the latest news!
Let us know what you think! Get the application here.
The March of Dimes hosted a Black History Month breakfast at the Four Seasons Hotel for celebrity volunteers, corporate supporters, and national service partners to discuss the alarming rates of premature birth in the African-American community. The event was hosted by Tony Award winning actress Phylicia Rashad and featured March of Dimes 2011 National Ambassador, Lauren Fleming, age 7, and her family.
Lisa Leslie, All Star and WNBA legend was joined by fellow March of Dimes volunteer 2011 Grammy Award Nominee Kelly Price. Both mothers experienced the premature birth of a child. Faye McClure, Director of Strategic Marketing, Farmer’s Insurance helped lead the breakfast with fellow special guests Herman Mason, President of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc; Sheryl Underwood, Actress/Comedian and Grand Basileus of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc; Joann Loveless, President of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc; and Jimmy Hammock, President, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
For more details about the breakfast and March of Dimes history of working together for stronger, healthier babies to go the national press release.
In photo left to right: Herman Mason; Sheryl Underwood; Densel Fleming holding Corbin Fleming, age 1; Phylicia Rashad holding Erin Fleming, age 3; Nikki Fleming; Faye McClure; Joann Loveless; Jimmy Hammock. In front: Lauren Fleming, age 7, March of Dimes 2011 National Ambassador (PHOTO CREDIT: Jeff Lewis)
The annual breakfast in Los Angeles was the first of two events being hosted by the March of Dimes to commemorate Black History Month. The second will be held in Washington, DC on the evening of February 16th at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. This invitation-only reception is a networking opportunity with a national briefing on measures the March of Dimes is taking in the African American Community to prevent premature birth, birth defects and infant mortality. The evening will include special recognition for supporters and highlights of the history of African Americans supporting March of Dimes mission.
March of Dimes Mom, actress Melissa Joan Hart, helped kick off March for Babies with her ABC Family Melissa & Joey co-star, Joey Lawrence!
As celebrity chairs for the Los Angeles March for Babies, the two hosted the annual Los Angeles March for Babies kickoff breakfast that was held at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center this week. Thomas M. Priselac, President and CEO, Cedars-Sinai Health System, is the 2011 Los Angeles March for Babies Chair.
Melissa has been a celebrity volunteer for the March of Dimes since the delivery of her two healthy sons, Mason and Braydon. She invited Joey, father of two girls, when his youngest, baby Liberty Grace, was born 6 ½ weeks early with Rh disease and spent critical time in the NICU. Both are committed to helping raise awareness and funds for March for Babies and they encouraged everyone to join together for stronger, healthier babies!